Friday, December 9, 2011

Headband Curls!

As a girl with poker-straight hair, I'm always looking for new inventive ways to make it curly!

My mom and I have tried everything over the years. What we used most often was the rag method. My mom learned how to wrap hair in "rags" from her mother. You take a section of hair, wrap a strip of fabric around it (leaving a piece of rag at the top), and then wind the section around each other, and tie the end of the rag to the begining....the result is VERY curly and lasts all day, but its not very comfortable to sleep on and it looks really strange too. I remember going to the dress rehearsal for my senior year dance recital with my hair in rags, I wish we had a picture of that. :)

Now-a-days, I'm always searching for the easy way to curly hair. I had read about a method of wrapping hair around a headband that seemed quite promising, so I had to try!

It all started with wet hair and a head band...













And I wrapped it all up and secured the ends with clips














I went to bed hopeful and was happy to find my hair still wrapped when I awoke...





I wonder if George has been reading my blog? I guess he'll let me know, hey?

My hair felt like it was a bit damp in the morning still so I hit it with the blowdryer for a while.....
Then I unwound the headband.

Here's what I found..............








And.....not exactly what I was looking for...










Yup, scared of my own reflection...












I wonder what I could do differently???









Two things, I decided. First of all, dry hair! And second, 2 headbands!



So, if at first you don't suceed....




Take 2!













It's a wrap! Double time!
I basically did the same thing as before, but I clipped the top of my hair up and wrapped the bottom, then wrapped the top half in another headband, so each hair had more room to curl!









Morning! Wraps in tact!

I wonder what it looks like?


I took out the bottom wrap and.....


CURLS!!!!! So far so good!

One more headband to go.....
Lots of curls!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!


Overall, the hair was quite curly, but the top section of my hair was only curled about halfway down.

Conclusion, PERFECT base of curls to style an updo in no time!

I was hoping for an easy-peasy way to have those perfect waves hanging loose all day......buuut.....not so much.

It was fun though, wasn't it :)



4 comments:

  1. Shawnie,
    Search for the sock bun method on pinterest. I've tried it and even with my crazy long, thick hair it works! And it's super cute so you can start with damp hair in the morning, wear a cute bun all day and take it out in the evening for a night out. Now that's what I call perfect!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. how can you think that's not cute. It looks cute to me. Maybe try the bun method for x-mas eve.I love your hair anyway.loves u mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahah!! i spent many sleepless nights as a kid with rags in my hair!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the comments!

    Sam - I have tried the "sock bun" method but all the layers that Cryss puts in my hair prevents it from looking like an actual "bun" but it might work just to sleep on and have waves! BUT i did find an alternative "sock bun" that I am actually going to post about.

    Mom - u r silly and I love you!

    Lea - The pain was always worth the curls though, wasn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete