Thursday, February 23, 2012

DIY Bulletin Board!

While out shipping with my bestie, Miss KT, we saw this bulletin board at Target and swooned.

Instead of dropping the $20, I thought, "Hey, I bet I can make that!"

First, I picked out a spot in the house where I'd like to hang my board and took some measurements. The wall was 13" wide so I thought 10" would make a good size. I went to Goodwill and looked for frame that would be 10" by whatever! And there was this little beauty for the low low price of $1.50



I then went to Ben Franklin and picked out some fabric! I'm in a very yellow mood lately (must be thinking about the Jamaican sun!).




The buttons are from Ben Franklin as well and I chose 1" grey colored gross grain ribbon from the dollar store.

First I hot glued some pillow stuffing (leftover from ring bearer pillows!) to the face of the frame for padding. It occurs to me now that I failed to take a picture of this step. DIY Blogger of the year, people, I know!

Then I cut my fabric out and layed it face down on the counter top (so the "inside" is up) and put the frame face down on top of that.

You can almost see the stuffing underneath!



The next part, Georgie helped me out so you might want to grab a friend for a 2nd set of hands. I pulled the fabric tight over the back of the frame and used a staple gun to secure the fabric to the wood. Having a wood frame was very helpful to the stapling process. If you had a metal frame, you'd probably have to use glue and it would much more difficult to keep the fabric as taught. After yous staple the first side (I started with the long sides) make sure you pull the fabric very very very very tight to the other size. This is where the 2nd set of hands helps. 

When it came to the short sides, I folded the fabric like I was wrapping a present and after I stapled, I cut the excess off all the way around.



Looks fluffy like a pillow! Now, time for the ribbons! I cut and layed out the ribbon in several different patterns and nothing felt quite right. I decided to stick closer to my inspiration and use a much thinner ribbon like the target version. So I ran up there to check out the original pattern and snap a pic, and buy some thinner ribbon. I just used gift wrapping ribbon but I would suggest buying something more heavy duty from Michael's because the stuff I used was very delicate. I did stick with the grey color though.


I just love the yellow and grey color combo, don't you?

:) Hopefully this is not my last "hey I can make that" post.



No comments:

Post a Comment