Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Frosted Glass Candle Holders!

Big shocker here, the following post is brought to you by, PINTEREST!

I had seen a picture of these candle holders many many times, but never actually repinned it. Therefore, this is a project that I did blindly, rather than follow a tutorial. Most of the time, I follow a tutorial and link back to that page during my post, but sometimes, I like to wing it! See how bad I can screw up without directions! This one seemed fairly straight forward so I jumped in!

I decided to make 2 different styles of "Frosted Glass Candle Holders" One style with a rubber brand stripe look and one style with lace. I bought the vases and rubber bands at the dollar store! Then I got some lace trim from Ben Franklin!
The key to this project, frosted glass spray paint!

For the rubber banded holders, I just had a little fun arranging the different sizes and shapes of the bands on the glass.


For the lace covered, I had to do a little more planning. I needed to make sure the lace layed flat on the glass and the trim I bought was a bit pleated. I realized that I could cut off the top strip and the lace would lay flat on it's own.


Here are my lace vases ready to go....





Then I took my vases and paint headed out to the garage!



Georgie always taught me to spray about 6-8 inches back from the object and use small side to side motions.
The paint sprays on rather glossy but gets more frosted after drying time.

The next day....




Please bear with my ridiculous photography! I need a serious lesson from my fave photographer!




The rubber band style turned out really well, it's unique and funky but subtle at the same time. The lace variety is cute but not very noticeable. I'd love to redo them with a wider pattern lace, see what that looks like. Maybe I'll spray over the frost with glitter or something to see if that makes a difference!

Either way, I'd say a successful first run!

What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. as 1 that loves candles i think they turned out great and what a creative idea i say 2 thumbs up shawnie :)

    ReplyDelete