Thursday, February 9, 2012

Yarn Vases

I really love yarn. It's so soft and cozy, like a sweater. :) I have seen the "yarn bottles" posts all over Pinterest and really wanted to try them. The basic point is to cover beer bottles in yarn and use them for vases.

Would you believe that after repeated requests for my husband to drink bottled beer, he keeps only drinking canned beer! Completely unacceptable! I mean what is this world coming to when you can't get your husband to drink bottled beer for you?

Instead, of using beer bottles, I ventured off to Goodwill and picked up three miniature bud vases....

The purpose of these vases are to be decorations for an upcoming St. Patty's day party, and I just so happened to have some green yarn left over from my Christmas Yarn Wreath!!!I also bought a multicolored lighter green yarn, just to shake things up!


Turns out, wrapping yarn around a bud vase, especially one that is ribbed on the outside, is not very easy. I tried many ways to get started, it's a good thing I had lots of yarn and hot glue peels right off glass. :)

The winning method ended up being to stand the vase upside down, and tie the yarn as tight around as I could.

Then, I wrapped yarn around 5 times and pushed it down towards the first ring. The rhythm that worked was loop five times, bunch them down. Make sure to use your non-looping hand to hold the yarn down, that stuff is slippery.


Once I got midway down the neck, it went pretty smooth. Until I got to the wide bottom. I told you, yarn is slippery! Once I got to the point when the yarn would continuously slip off, I squeezed a round of hot glue as the very bottom and ran a circle of yarn around it, then glued and ran another. That usually made a nice surface between the neck and bottom to spin yarn until your hand falls off.




 I love the way they look like they are wearing sweaters! Sweater Vases!!!!

Now, I need to learn some new types of flowers to fill my vases, any suggestions?

***Two days after I wrote this post, I happen to see a new pin for yarn bottles and checked out the tutorial. Turns out, I'm kind of blonde :). If you cover the outside of the vase with Mod Podge, as you go along, the yarn sticks right to the vase, you can even use more than one color yarn on a vase this way! - In hindsight, it seems really easy and super obvious. If you don't have Mod Podge or don't want it to be permanent, my way still works, but it's more difficult. Rolling eyes at myself all day today.***

No comments:

Post a Comment