Friday, November 4, 2011

What do you give?

There was a time after college when I moved from Michigan to south Florida. I loved the weather, and being with my family who lived there but hated being that far way from Mama and the rest of my family and friends back home. The adventure didn't last long.

While living there, my dear Auntie had gotten me a job as the receptionist at the office where she worked. And it was there that I first heard a quote on the radio and very quickly scribbled it on a post-it note, even though I knew I'd never forget it.

"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give."

That Florida radio station and many websites attribute those words to Mr. Winston Churchill (although there are many websites that also say it was not him). Regardless of where they originated, hearing these words has impacted my soul.

I'm sure the "giving" was meant to imply all things philanthropic and volunteer-based. Yet I believe there to be much more to it as well. For me, it's about the energy that you give to the world. It's asking you to think about the vibes that you throw off of your body up into the air for someone else to catch. It's challenging you to live in a way that inspires others and yourself. Obviously the "get" is the material business, our salaries, our possessions, our toys - those things make up your "living," your calculated net worth, but they don't make up your life, do they?

Your life is made up of who you are. And who you are is what you give to this world everyday.

Here is what I promise/hope/want to give:

1.) Positivity - I promise to look at each day as a gift and a challenge. I promise to always believe that people are inherently good at their core, no matter how many times I've been hurt, or disappointed.

2.) Kindness - I hope I serve the world with a smile. I hope that people would rather be friends than enemies. I hope that joy is contagious.

3.) Appreciation - I am thankful for this life, I am blessed to here. I want to thank God for these wonderful gifts each and every day.


I believe these small manifestos will make me happier. Hopefully that happiness will drop a little here and there as I walk through life, and maybe attach themselves to someone else along the way.

Spread the happy. Tell me, what do you give?



PS - Special shout out to my mama who inspired this post when she said to me: "You should blog about that quote you love, I can't remember it but I it's one of my favorites." Love you mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment